Sunday, May 4, 2008

Veggie

I teach second grade and I'm a vegetarian. I haven't eaten meat for about a year and during the process of giving up meat, I read many, many books to educate myself. Two excellent books to read to get you started thinking about the health benefits of a vegetarian diet are: The Vegan Diet as Chronic Disease Prevention, by Kerrie K. Saunders, Ph.D. (sounds extreme with "vegan" in the title but it isn't)
The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell (this book changed my life!)
(More about being a vegetarian and a second grade teacher later.)

We slowly cut out the red meat and ate only chicken and fish. After that transition we cut out the chicken and only had fish/seafood. It became easier and easier to just leave out the traditional "meat" part of the meal. Now we use tofu, beans, nuts, peanut butter, and tempeh to add protein to our meals. I never liked cooking before becoming a vegetarian but now I have to be so much more original and creative that I actually really enjoy making dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother cooks vegetarian foods for us at family dinners. She agreed with your creativity comment. She thinks she could open a vegetarian restaurant now--she has created so many great new recipes!