Thursday, May 8, 2008

What Should I Teach?

So sometimes in second grade the Food Pyramid comes up in stories or health discussions. I sometimes struggle with how to teach about healthy choices and what to say to students regarding milk and meat. I do not drink milk and I eat very few other dairy products. Schools push milk and really offer no other choices (especially in lower elementary.) I had a student ask me this year if meat is healthy for you. I paused for a moment and told him that some people believe it is a healthy choice. I went on to explain that you can also have a balanced diet without meat. You will never hear me tell a student to "drink up your milk for strong teeth and bones!"
I wish there was more out there for parents/students to read that would actually explain health benefits and risks of certain foods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is always best to teach both sides of any argument and let the audience decide for themselves what the "right" answer is.