I was recently talking with a friend about her trip to the pediatricians office. She was discussing the diet of her ten-month old twins and asked the doctor when she should add meat to their meals. I was surprised to hear the answer. . . .The doctor told her she never had to introduce meat into their diets--they could have a well balanced diet using tofu, beans, lentils, and even soy milk for protein! I'm glad to hear that doctors are now at least making people aware of their choices. I think parents in the past have felt guilty or like they were "bad parents" if they didn't serve up a slap of meat each night at dinner.
Many people are still using the old Food Pyramid to plan healthy menus. That document was introduced to the public in 1956! Think about how many deaths each year occur because of diet related issues. America needs to make some major changes.
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A friend of mine had a similar experience when discussing soy milk in place of cow's milk for her two young daughters. The doctor actually told her that replacing cow with soy milk was a wise decision. Soy milks are fortified with many vitamins!
I read the China Study. It really made me think about how our diets can be changed so easily in order to live a longer healthier life. I have started to slowy cut back on red meat consumption especially with all the recalls that have been going on lately.
Post a Comment